Tuesday, July 26, 2011

So Pissed!

Morocco: 7/16/11-7/21/11

As you know, Miguel and I have been traveling for almost 7 months now and I feel quite comfortable being aboard. Comfortable in a sense of not being taken advantage of, always aware of my surroundings, and I can adapt easily to new situations. Or at least I thought.

Morocco is a beautiful place. Palm trees line the streets, camel rides are available on most street corners and the souks (markets) are a must see. We spent much of our time in Marrakech relaxing, but we did have to venture out side of the Hotel walls and have a “real” Moroccan meal and see the Suks.

I love visiting the markets of new places. It really describes the tastes and preferences of the local people and I believe it is a wonderful birds eye view of what the culture is really like. I was excited. I had done my research, I knew what to expect, and couldn’t wait to find the perfect henna tattoo artist.

We took a short taxi ride to the center of town (Marrakech is smaller than I imagined and easy to navigate). Miguel and I crossed the busy street and started our journey to the biggest souk in town. Many streets feed into the main circle where the market begins. The crowds fill the front market area. Many stand it awe of the snake charmers that line the streets. Tourists (including us) really stand out and vendors spot you immediately. As Miguel and I approached the market area he reminded me, “Babe, remember don’t engage in conversation with anyone. Stay focused. Be alert.” Literally right after our conversation I stopped in my tracks. 12 black cobras being charmed. Yes, COBRAS. These snakes were not in baskets, they sat directly on the street and you could get as close as you dared. I couldn’t peel my eyes away….I felt so scared, but was so intrigued. I just had to watch. The snakes were huge, they stood so tall, and they looked like they were dancing. It was mesmerizing.  I was so engrossed that I let my guard down.

Before I knew what was happening I had a lady in my face asking me if I wanted a henna tattoo. She spoke firmly and very fast. She was obviously a born seller. “Look at my book lady….beautiful artwork for your hands….a great souvenir…take a picture....sit over here…very cheap….you asked me….I tell you…very cheap….where you want….I put it anywhere…..you tell me lady….I do for you!” I continue to say no and I try to hand back her photo book and she grabs my hand and starts putting her henna designs on my forearm. I gently try and pull away and she says, “Don’t worry….you will like….pretty….look…I do flowers for you….it’s for good luck….you like….I know…you have camera….please…take picture with me!” Miguel is still enamored with the cobras at this point and now I have a henna tattoo that covers most of my forearm and my wrist. Note: she said all of this and even did the artwork in all of 2 minutes. I was overwhelmed. Even though I didn’t ask for the tattoo, I knew she would want money. I just let her finish and hoped for the best.

After she dabbed the final touches of glitter (really, glitter?) on my arm she says $50. My eyes fall out of my head and I say forcefully, “I DIDN’T EVEN WANT THIS…YOU GRABBED MY HAND AND STARTED DRAWING!” She screamed back, “NO! NO! NO!…don’t let me have your hand….you wanted…I gave you….good price…you ask…I did…..I want money….you need to pay me….$40.” The price immediately dropped $10 and off we went….the negotiating began. Miguel came over to assess the situation and he too gawked at the price. He says, “$5.” She growls and refuses. The negotiating continues, voices get louder, the stress level increases, arms are flailing about, I threaten to wash off the henna, voices continue to get louder, a small crowd gathers behind us and then Miguel threatens to get the police involved. Finally, this scares her. Miguel hands her $8 and we walk off.

Whoa! I was so taken back! Did I really just let that happen? Did I just get screwed? I was so mad at the situation and myself. I felt defeated and totally taken advantage of. This is not how I pictured my day…..this is not what was supposed to happen. I had to sit, digest, and re-focus. I needed a Coke and a smile. In hindsight, a small price to pay to get back in the swing. Remember: Never let your guard down, always be aware of your surroundings, and DON’T TALK TO STRANGERS! I say this with seriousness, but always with a smile.

Notice the henna tatto goes all the way down my forearm

Ugliest henna ever! My pissed face. PS the henna lasted for more than a week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment